Sunday, June 24, 2012

strawberry shortcake

When I was little, I had Strawberry Shortcake curtains and bedding in my room. We'd eat strawberries with sugar on them for a snack. My favorite pie was always strawberry.

As a girl I remember going to the strawberry fields with my family... often with my Grandma Char. They had a field right in West Fargo where you could pick buckets of strawberries. Later in the year, we'd pick baby cucumbers for canning pickles. I remember thinking, what is she going to do with all of these!! But she always found a use for everything and it was usually delicious!

So I thought it might be a fitting way to celebrate her life's passing as my baby girl turned two, to spend the morning picking strawberries.

Though we didn't say it enough, I loved my grandma very much and have so many memories of her- mostly surrounded by food- and so as I say goodbye to her, I find myself wanting to create new memories with my kids, start new traditions, pass on some of her warmth, cooking, and sense of humor, so that someday when I tell them about her, they'll recognize a bit of her in me... or in themselves.

So, Saturday morning, we headed out to Pine Tree Apple Orchards for some strawberry picking.


Now that Kiley is two, she's decided that she can pretty much do everything on her own. I'm pretty sure if we gave her the car keys, she'd figure out how to drive herself to the fields. Girl has a mind that is made up. I love it.
And we always knew it would be just a short while before she started sassing back to Jaxon and fighting for what's hers. Well, seems as if overnight, that time has come.


But, through all her tantrums and 'terrible two-ness', she is still my baby girl.
Sweet. Funny. Copycat. Busy-bee. Industrious. Foodie. Determined. Independent. Laughter and gigles. Cuddler. Jokester. Smart.  

And oh, so cute.


It was a special morning and I hope to make it a tradition we can do every year (as long as she'll let us!).

Afterwards we went home and opened a few presents. I got Kiley a Pink Dinosaur pillow pet- she keeps talking about dinosaurs getting her feet, so I thought this was appropriate.
And Scott got her a new blankie to replace the other two that are full of holes.

We love you sweet baby girl. You are pure joy. Our little Strawberry Shortcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment