Saturday, March 23, 2013

nine minutes of fun

Easter sure seems to have come early this year. I feel very ready though. I've got the kids' Easter baskets and some 'crap' from Target to stick inside them come Easter morning. I've got way too many fillable plastic Easter eggs and a plan for hiding them on Easter morning. I've got some eggs boiled and an Egg Spinner complete with dye and stickers to decorate. And I still have a week to go! I guess I'm making up for St. Paddy's Day and my sucky attitude.

So to get the kids in the true spirit of Easter (it's all about bunnies and eggs, right?), we took them to the City of Woodbury's Ole Fashioned Easter Egg Hunt last night. First we had a nice dinner at McDonalds. Let me say- that is the place to be on a Friday night. We got the very last table. It was practically standing room only in there.

After dinner, we made our way to the egg hunt, where there were a few hundred eggs scattered across the snow banks, making it less like a hunt and more like a grab. There were a lot of people there. And rules.

Kiley was pretty upset when she found out that her age category was supposed to get orange and green eggs and that Jaxon's was supposed to get pink and blue.
And then she decided, to hell with the rules. She was gonna get what color egg she wanted. And we thought, sure, let's all avoid a tantrum in the middle of the egg hunt and spare everyone the drama. And we were back to happy.
 
While Kiley was off picking up whatever eggs she wanted to, Jaxon was strategizing. I was watching as he picked his eggs. He knew he was only supposed to get 10 and they were supposed to be pink and blue for his age group. He came up with about 7 or 8 in the same area almost right away because he was scoping them out while we were waiting for them to give the go-ahead.
 
 
Then, even though there were several more nearby him, he took off for the other side of the path, almost like he was savoring the 'hunt' for the last couple eggs, trying to make it somehow more challenging for himself. I notice he does this when there's only one fruit snack (insert other candy/treat/food item) left. He'll either save them for later or take a really long time to chew on it. I'm sure it's hard to know that the fun will end at some point so he's just trying to hang on to it.
 
Which I totally get. Because I'm the same way. Trying to hold on to these fun times and special moments as long as I can. Sometimes they go so quick. Like this egg hunt. Nine minutes.

 And of course, the kids were quite dismayed when they realized there was no candy in the eggs. What!! No candy? I'm fine with that though. It will make the 'real Easter Bunny' look really good!

Enjoy your special moments today...whether they last nine minutes or ninety... cherish each one. I know I will.



No comments:

Post a Comment