Sunday, May 12, 2013

For you...



This morning I woke to the sound of whispers and giggles... to little smiles and jumps of joy greeting me quite literally, right in my face. And even though it is a weekend and it was 6:15 a.m. and I'd stayed up late catching up on shows on Hulu, I greeted the wake-up call with a smile.
 
I know that some moms really want to be pampered on Mothers' Day. Go to the spa or brunch, or have their husbands wait on them all day. And while that sounds nice, I'd rather just soak it all in.  This thing called being a mom.
 
Rather than getting upset with the constant 'Mom, mom, mom!' today,  I'm trying to make sense of the really BIG meaning of that tiny little word.
 
The responsibility, the blessings, the absolute nonsense and pure craziness that comes with having children.
 
 Figuring out that building a fort, no matter how flimsy, is better than not trying to build a fort at all.
 
That not everything I say needs to make totally clear sense.
 
That I can let the dishes go a little bit longer in order to put a diaper on poopy Karen or Thomas.
 
Listening to Jaxon read for the first time and knowing that we had maybe a small part in helping him develop a love for reading and learning.
 
Helping Kiley go potty and 'not get any on her leg' ( a common fear these days). Wiping butts and cleaning toilets for the umpteenth time.
 
Listening to Kiley sing 'The Wheels on the Bus' and watching as she takes such good care of her babies...
 
These are the moments I love so much about being a mom. Even though I could use a little less whining in my life, I know that I wouldn't be who I am today without these two little cuties and their dad in my life. It's amazing how it changes you...makes you want to be a better person... and makes you cherish the moments when you get to take an uninterrupted shower, go to the bathroom, or eat by yourself. Seriously. Now I guess I'd take a little more of that!
 
Jaxon and Kiley, I am so grateful and honored to be your mother.
 




 



 
You're my backbone. You're my cornerstone. You're my crutch when my legs stop moving. You're my head start. You're my rugged heart. You're the pulse that I've always needed. Like a drum baby, don't stop beating. Like a drum, my heart never stops beating, For You.
 

1 comment: