Tuesday, June 4, 2013

great expectations

For the past few years over Memorial Day weekend, we've been traveling a few hours north to Osage, MN and spending the weekend with my parents and brother and niece.
 
We rarely have great expectations for nice weather. It hardly ever happens. We also really ramp down any expectation of catching any fish-we usually don't. And, generally speaking, we lower our expectations for accomplishing anything personal, including reading, blogging, running, or any other sort of private moment. It's usually too busy for that.
 
But at least for me, I always have great expectations of this being a time spent with family and loved ones. A time when laughter abounds and good times are remembered. This year was extra special- my grandpa was able to join us and we were able to see my mom's side of the family on Saturday for a wedding reception. It was like a three-fer (and that's better than a two-fer).
 
Of course there was lots of fishing even if they weren't biting all that much. Zoe commented several times, 'I can't believe Jaxon is still fishing!'. I'm not sure if he just really missed his dad after Scott being gone for a week, or if he was just having that much fun in his pajamas catching little sunnys, but this boy is a fisherman! I think he is ready for Cedar Lake!
 



Meanwhile, Kiley played house at the park, being her cute lovely self.

 
We rented a pontoon on Sunday and all of us went out for a couple hours until the little ones got stir crazy. My grandpa got to fish with my dad, which I think was pretty special, having watched these guys fish all their lives pretty much...  it was great to see the happiness in both of them.

Jaxon fished some more, though he really just talked the whole time. You can see  his mouth just getting ready here to ask a question or say something like, 'hey! I just missed that nailer! I need another worm so I can catch another nailer!'.

And then he caught my dad.

 
Kiley was more interested in her fashion and eating M&M's. Because that's what girls do.

And they blow bubbles and look cute.
 
 
Though Jaxon enticed her to get a little closer to the edge to check out his nailer.
 
 
Zoe had a new rule imposed on her by grandma-no cell phones at the dinner table. Allowable on the boat, but not at the dinner table. I mean, there are a lot of things to text your friends about when you are riding around on a pontoon.


Saturday night, we drove back to Fargo to attend my cousin Matt's wedding reception. It was great to see everyone having such a great time and fun to watch the kids-they love a good party, especially a wedding with free lemonade and glow bands.
 
 Kiley was rockin' the off-the-shoulder look. Told ya she was into fashion. You should see some of her color combinations. Solid.
 

 
 Kiley missed daddy too.

Then came the dancing. Jaxon never disappoints.

I'm thinking I'll start wearing these to work, maybe it will help with my next performance review.
 
Best of all was watching these three. So glad my kids have a cousin like Zoe. They adore her.

 
And then there were the Geurin Girls! We got a photo of the best looking ladies at the reception- my mom, grandma and her two sisters (Sandy and Laurie), cousin Kiara, and then Kiley and Zoe. So fun.

Sunday was a decent day weather wise. Again, no great expectations, so it's always better than it really is. Perception is reality. Something like that.

Weather be damned, we decided to have a beach day. That's me in the kayak with long sweatpants on and a sweatshirt under my life jacket. Not exactly tip-over and swim weather so glad neither of us tipped over. I was nervous about Jaxon going in the kayak, but that boy rocked it! He was awesome and I we loved it. Can't wait to do that again with him.
 Then of course there was some beach time to play in the sand and water, even though it was freezing! Kids just don't seem to care about that as much as us old moms and dads.

 
All in all, it was a fun trip. Great expectations indeed.
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment