Saturday, November 27, 2010

thankful

I love this time of year. Time for family get togethers. Time spent with friends. Shopping with Christmas music in the background and snow in the air. It's so beautiful out. People seem downright jolly (so far). And I am constantly reminded of how much we have to be thankful for. A new thing I've been doing with Jaxon, when I remember, is to reflect on the day before putting him to bed. We read our books and then I ask him, 'What was your favorite part of today?'. Tonight, I thought the answer to that would have been, the cookie you gave me for dessert, or that daddy took us to the zoo. But it was 'playing with you mommy.' Now, maybe he was just trying to butter me up and get a few extra minutes out of me before bedtime. But it felt pretty nice. He asked what my favorite part was, and I said 'hearing you say that'. Well, that got him laughing because he didn't quite get it. So, then I asked what his least favorite part of the day was. His answer, without thinking: 'vegetables'. Ah, we have some work to do my child. And all the 'books' say to have your children help you prepare food and then they will eat it. Especially things like vegetables. But. Clearly that isn't the case with young Jaxon. He helped make mashed potatoes and green bean casserole and wouldn't touch either of them. He's going to make a great Norwegian someday though. I even bought Jaxon and Kiley some special Thanksgiving shirts to commemorate the day. Jaxon's was dirty by 10 am. And we had barely had breakfast. Glad it wasn't white!
We had Scott's family over for Turkey dinner. Here's Grandma Wa getting an early appetizer from Jaxon.
And Kiley getting a few laughs in after dinner.
Her new favorite friend is the dinasaur puppet. Well, if eating horns means you're friends.
On Friday night, we decided Kiley had been smacking her lips at us all day Thursday and we felt bad she wasn't able to partake in the food festivities. So, we gave her a first taste of rice cereal. Honestly, I thought the whole kid thing would get easier after having one. But either my memory is shot, or I was so studious with Jaxon and read everything there was to know about babies (and then immediately blocked it out when he became a toddler). It's like cramming for a test.
Let's feed her some rice cereal. Well, how much do we give her? I don't know, look at the box. Is she suppsed to get it after or before her bottle? No clue. How much should we give her? No clue. Let's just see if she knows what to do when the spoon hits her mouth.
Does that look right? I dunno. Seems like she likes it. Sure. Let's give her some more. I'll read the book tonight and figure out what the he** we're doing. Her doctors' appointment isn't for another week so I have time to figure it out and make it sound like we know what we're doing. Maybe download a babycenter app or something.
Ah yes, we have a lot to be thankful for. Not for vegetables. But definately a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how darn cute are those two! Looks like everyone is having fun. I hope Kiley has Jaxon's great humor. He can always make you smile! ENJOY

    ReplyDelete