Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Loot

What does $500 buy you in Milwaukee in June? Only the prettiest, most charming, lovely little things called beads! I know I really shouldn't admit that I actually spend that much on something that can fit into the small side of my purse. But honestly, when you consider that some people spend that much on a wallet or a purse, or other silly things (golf clubs, boats, or tv's also fit into this category), then it doesn't matter so much.

They do after all, make me happy.
This weekend marked my mom and I's sixth year attending bead shows (we think, after a lot of really poor math and bad memories).

And we made it back to where it all began...Bead & Button in Milwaukee. We were much wiser than our first show (when we were calling our husbands three hours into the show, wondering how we go about getting some more money). We decided not to take any classes this year, having just been to the Weekend with the WireMasters in October. We also opted to stay in Brookfield and drive. And we made our own lunches- PB&J.

It was great. More time with each other, and more money for what else? Beads!
This years' loot boasted an obsession with rings and things...lots of color, but largely in the green and blue tones, and more copper findings and chain. With the price of silver being ridiculous, we tried to stay away from most of that. Though I did find myself splurging on a few charms and some chain, but I justified it with the fact that they were actually on my shopping list. 


Yes, we do make shopping lists. Albeit mine had about four very general things on it...and I pretty much forgot what was on it as soon as I saw some of these pretties. The photos don't really do them justice- you have to roll 'em around in your hand, look at 'em under a task light, and hear the clink clink as they jumble together. They'll make a great necklace. Or bracelet. Or something!

Here's those lovely little charms. Won't they be great in a necklace with a nice little briolette or a hand-stamped word dandle and a cute little bead from my stash?

At the end of the show, or actually around 5pm when we ran out of money, we stopped down at the classroom of one of our favorite teachers, Tracy Stanley. She was finishing up and we just thought we'd 'shop' a little more. She always has the best stuff. So I couldn't resist this beautiful bracelet she had made. Oh darn, went over my budget... good thing I had a reserve $100 in my head!

And so, until next year...(or November honey if you're reading this) time to play with The Loot.

Thanks mom for a fun weekend and for being my navigator (even if we did get lost just a few times).

No comments:

Post a Comment