Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Proud.

Yesterday we had Jaxon's early childhood screening. I'm pretty sure I was more nervous that he was.

And the kid couldn't have made me more proud.

We started our morning by dropping Kiley off at daycare and then treated ourselves to breakfast at McDonald's. It made me feel slightly good that Jaxon had no clue that McDonald's had breakfast. We walked in and he immediately said- 'I'll have the chicken nuggets with apples...' I had to convince him that it was the same McDonald's that we always go to and that they just have breakfast foods in the morning.
After charming the black socks off the old men at McDonalds, we headed over to the screening.

I had told Jaxon we were just meeting a new lady to talk about going to school, play games, do some fun stuff, hoping against hope that our morning didn't turn out like our last trip to the dentist (kicking and screaming were involved).

As I sat on the cold, metal folding chair at the back of the room and watched my little boy go to the 'testing area' with the teacher, I felt a flurry of emotions--you'd think I was being tested!

I was so proud watching him point out all the right shapes, finish the puzzles, and draw pictures.

Every so often, he would steal a glance at me with that signature grin, as if to say, 'look mom, I'm doing it. I'm such a big boy!'.

I was a little nervous when the teacher made a bridge with the blocks and asked Jaxon to copy it. Inside, I was cheering for him, come on- you can do this! Meanwhile thinking, can he make that? Of course, he didn't even hesitate and made the same bridge out of his own blocks without a problem.

Finally, we were taken to the vision and hearing screening room. We did not do so great at our 4 year doctors' visit with these two tasks, so I was hoping we wouldn't end up with an incomplete on these items. Jaxon certainly surprised me again, putting on the goofy eye glasses and earphones and passing with flying colors.

The teachers were gushing over Jaxon, telling me how he was such a good listener, so attentive, and so personable (all the things I wrote on the intake forms that I thought he needed to work on!). Shows what I know. I'm just his mom.

His really proud mom.

1 comment: