Thursday, January 5, 2012

thanks doc

Last week we had Kiley's 18-month check up. Her stats were pretty lackluster. She has a decent sized head, but is nowhere near being on the charts for height or weight. She came in at the .5%. The nurse was kind enough to round it up to 1%.

Oh Kiley.

So the doc provided us with a booklet on how to 'fatten up' our kids. Like they are cattle or chickens. Here I spend most of my life trying to lose weight, maintain my weight loss, and set a good example for my kids by not feeding them high-fat foods, and our pediatrician goes and tells us how to 'beef em up'.

Real butter. Whole Milk. Heavy whipping cream. Powdered milk mixed into everything. Cheese. Full fat ice cream. You get the idea.

Excuse me. What about my hips??

Now, at this same visit, we had a discussion about how Kiley seems to be quite fond of breaking out into rashes and hives when we visit the Fargo grandma and grandpa. Hives, swollen eyes, red spots on the hand. You name it, she's had it somewhere on her body.

So we decided to investigate. We ordered an allergy test.

Enter the lovely Nurse Cathy. Best lab tech on staff says the doc. She can find a vein and do a blood draw in any squirmy kid. She seemed to do her job well enough. How could I tell though, I was crying as I was hiding behind Scott while the nurse pulled a vial of blood from our hysterical, screaming little baby.

When the doc called me with the results and left a vague message to call her back, I felt like Phil Dunfie on Modern Family. I mean, we all know I'm a paranoid hypochondriac right? If you didn't already know, you do now.

Once I finally reached our doc, she started out by letting us know Kiley reached a new high score on the game of allergy testing. Normal people score 0-64.

Kiley is an overachiever with a 257.

It's all making sense now... the colic, the ezcema, the multitude of rashes... girl is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, and dogs. Oh, and a little bit of soy.

Should be interesting as we try to eliminate these products from Kiley's life for some trial and error over the next couple weeks... for now it is goodbye milk, cheese, ice cream... ugh. What's the point?

Now, our pediatrician did caution that these tests are not always accurate, they sometimes have cross contamination, etc. and that in order to get better information we would need to do a skin test.

I almost wish we hadn't done the test. Now I am ultra paranoid and think every tiny red spot is a breakout/rash/anaphylactic shock and that every silly noise or giggle she makes after eating is her airways constricting.... thanks alot doc!

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. Poor thing.

    And I can totally relate to the blood draw/crying bit, as I had a total nervous breakdown last weekend in the Children's ER as they tried to start an IV in my newborn because of her jaundice. Poked her four times, never got one in. I was hysterical.

    ReplyDelete