Sunday, February 26, 2012

the other day

The other day, I was on my way to pick up the kids and I had that slight little panic attack again.

It's five o'clock.

It's a Thursday night, so Scott won't be home till 8:30 or 9...

I have nothing planned for the kids to do and really don't feel like going to Lookout Ridge, the mall, or anywhere to eat.

I have nothing in mind for dinner.

Oh. My. God.

What if they didn't take a nap? What if they're super crabby and raising hell again? What if Jaxon got into three timeouts at daycare and needs a lecture about not pushing the girls off the couch when they kiss him?

What if Kiley is sick again or just fiesty about something?

You don't know this, but every once in awhile, when I know I'm on my own for the night, there is a slight bit of panic. For all the reasons above.

Because if there is ever the perfect storm, we wind up with a not so happy mommy and very grumpy kids.

The other day though, I was pleasantly surprised.

The kids had both napped well during the day. There were no fights or poor reports from Nancy. Kiley was happy to put her hat on and grabbed her boots right away when I got there. Jaxon gave me a hug and kiss and got dressed to go home. He didn't whine and ask where we were going or throw a fit because we weren't going to play somewhere.

It was almost too good to be true.

And then...

It got better.

We got home and this is what happened. 
Kiley sat down at her table and started playing with her play-doh. She made a big mess, but I don't think I heard her make a peep for at least a half hour. Long enough for me to throw together dinner.
And Jaxon grabbed the Tailor Swift DVD and popped it in. He found himself a comfy spot on the couch and coveted his own down time by himself. I didn't argue.
Then at dinner time, he showed off his independence and buttered his own bread. Of course, he also added at least seven squirts of jelly. Hey, we'll take those calories when we can get them!
Kiley enjoyed her jellyed bread too. Jaxon even made it for her.

And then he shared his cookies with her.

And then stole them and ran away. 

I mean, seriously.

Sometimes you just know it's too good to be true. 

1 comment:

  1. I have that feeling pretty much every single weeknight I'm home alone with the kids. Which has been a lot lately. Next time Scott's gone at night let me know, maybe we can meet up somewhere for dinner or some other kind of chaos.

    Also, nights like that are pretty much the best thing ever. But they wouldn't be as sweet without the other (hellish) nights...right?

    ReplyDelete