Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Five

Dear Jaxon,

Today is your 5th birthday! I can't believe you're five years old already! The time has flown by, and yet I remember so many things about your first five years...

I remember leaving the hospital with you when you were born with all the nervousness of new parents... only to discover that my car had stalled and needed a jump... and then to come home to three feet of snow in the driveway! I remember sitting with you in the backseat while we watched daddy shovel ;-)
And I remember your special hiding place in the kitchen of our house in Maple Grove... the pantry. Where you'd go to play with tupperware, hide your toys, play hide and seek, and do your 'duties'...

I remember picking you up from Darlene's and fighting with you to get you in the car. I used to think the whole neighborhood was watching. This crazy mom whose kid didn't want to go home with her at night. And how awful it made me feel. (glad those days are behind us!)

I remember your excitement and hesitation when your baby sister was born. How you clung to me just a little bit more. But also how you protected her and told everyone about how you were her big brother.

I remember all the times you've gotten sick...all the times you've come to watch me race... all the 'firsts'... traveling with you to Carol's and to Vancouver... all the excitement in your eyes when you've caught a fish, gone on a ride, or just discovered something new.

I'm sure you'll realize someday, that your parents have taught you a lot about life.

But it's you who has taught us even more. You've taught us that elves can be magical. That God holds the sun and the moon, one in each hand. You've taught us that time doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things- yesterday could be a year ago and tomorrow could be next week. Does it really matter? You've taught us about loving and supporting each other, 'no matter what' as you say.

I hope you have had a fun and fulfilling half decade... if someone were to ask me what my favorite part has been of the last five years, I'd have to say, 'all of it'. We love you to the moon and back, Jaxon. Happy Birthday!

Love you,
Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment