Sunday, July 7, 2013

summer days

Summer days are the best. They make me feel like a kid again. And it's even more fun seeing summer through your children's eyes. How amazing life must be to them!

You know it is Summer at our house when...

...a waterfight could break out at any moment.

... fireworks come from a box in the garage instead of the store.

...ice cream and popsicles are a daily menu item.

...taking your clothes off in the driveway is just a normal occurrence.

...a trip to the pool is how we cool off after dinner.

... strawberries!

... and lots of sunscreen...

This summer, I really wanted to embrace the fact that I have a lot of excess vacation time (which I attribute to my kids blessed immunity to all illnesses known to children now that they've finally come of age and have had them all). And so I've decided to take my vacation on some random days when I can and enjoy making memories with the kids.

So far, so good.

(Oh, and just to be clear- it was Kiley that took her clothes off.)

A few weeks ago on a fairly nicish night, the kids seemed antsy to get in the sprinkler, so we made it happen. Of course, as soon as I got everything hooked up and sprinkler on, everyone just stared at it and tried to figure out how to get to the other side without getting wet. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the point.

 Eventually, after playing with the sprinkler for a whole five minutes, we had to switch it out to a different one. Pretty typical.
 We liked this one much better apparently. That caterpillar is just too crazy!

 Of course, it didn't stay on the ground long.


A couple weekends ago, we had some of Kiley's (and Jaxon's) friends to the Lake Elmo Beach for a little birthday celebration...
 We flew a kite to let everyone know where we were at!

 
 While Jaxon and Scott were getting the kite going, Kiley was sitting with me at the picnic table. She saw bugs. Thus the scared face. Apparently we are going through a love-hate relationship with bugs. She seems to enjoy watching 'baby ants', but if it flies, it ain't cool.
 I mean, she's still cute though, right?



Then it was time for the beach! Auntie Jenny got there and took right over. She is the best!






 Party time would not be complete without cupcakes (and a pretend candle).



 And keeping with tradition, we went to pick strawberries last week at Pine Tree Apple Orchard. Last year I think we did about ten pounds. This year I was ambitious. We went for twenty.



 We had some good helpers. Though they enjoyed a few too many I think!
 Aren't they pretty?



They turned into 13 half-pints of strawberry jam, 10 half-pints of strawberry-rhubarb jam, and 4 loaves of strawberry bread, with two bags of frozen strawberries to spare. Anyone want some jam?
 
 
Just because:

And then it turned into a 90 degree, hot, sticky day. And we got the water out. And Kiley got naked. How could I not take photos?










We also could not forget about the 4th of July- Scott's favorite holiday besides Thanksgiving (because of the turkey and mashed potatoes).


 These guys were hilarious. They certainly know how to have fun together!
 



And to top it all off, we ended up at ValleyFair for a family fun night. I just love this picture of Kiley and I, going on the Snoopy Rocket RollerCoaster! She had so much fun, thanks to her daddy for teaching her to stand on her tippy toes when she got measured- just barely 36 inches and tall enough for most of the kids' rides!
Jaxon was beyond excited.

 
And that's our summer so far- and it's only July 8th! I can't wait to find out what other memories we will make this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment