Wednesday, July 14, 2010

thank you and i'm sorry.

To all those who have told me, and keep telling me, that 'it will get easier', Thank You and I'm Sorry.
Thank you. Thank you for reminding me that yes, it does get better. It gets easier. It's like anything else in life. You adjust, reinvent yourself, rethink your expectations. And it does get easier. Yes, the reminder is good, even if it makes me curse you out everytime you say 'it will get easier' as I'm on the verge of losing it, in the midst of two babies crying, two diapers needing to be changed (one for real and one pretend), and two babies needing my constant attention. So, for the cursing, I am sorry. But for the reminder, thank you.
Today it got a little easier. I have adjusted a little more, reinvented myself as a mom of two, and have definately rethunk my expectations.
As we were sitting at McDonalds after a great morning at the Children's Museum in St. Paul, I quickly scarfed my cheeseburger while preparing a bottle and making sure Jaxon had his straw and napkins, I thought, gosh this feels much easier than last week when I attempted Smashburger. Must be getting easier.
Then I saw a woman with four kids in tow, two of them desperately fighting over seats in the double stroller (apparently they don't make bunk double strollers). I thought, man is she brave. Brave or really needed to get out of the house. And I also thought, if she can do it with four, surely I can do it with two!
Yes, it has been a good day. And even moreso, I was recently reminded by a good friend to always hold on to the precious moments as we are living them- chaotic, peaceful, or otherwise.
Coincidentally, as I took Kiley out of her sleeping cave (the carseat) to feed her, a woman walked by and commented... 'She's so small... I remember that.'
And it just reminded me to cherish this time I have, not take it for granted, and trust that it will get easier, more normal, and more wonderful with each day.
No more cursing. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Brenna. That made me tear up. I think you're amazing! I would be hiding under my bed crying and/or wandering around the house in my pjs all day. But you've actually driven across town and survived a day at the children's museum! You are such a great mom, and I know you'll have this two kid thing figured out in no time.

    Hang in there, my friend. And let's plan a time for me to come over and help you out. Wish it could be during the day...but maybe a week night or weekend day when Scott's busy or not home? If we coordinate just right I might be able to get out without Cal and then I can actually be of some help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you are adjusting well having two little ones. There will be lots of giggles and a few tears but some how we all manage to survive even when we don't think we will. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete