Sunday, January 9, 2011

Potty Time

This week at daycare, Jaxon and two other girls his age started potty training. Having no clue what I am doing, I did a quick read of 'Stress Free Potty Training' and tried to determine whether Jaxon is goal-directed or impulsive. The whole method centers around what kind of kid you have. I decided he was impulsive.

And after putting this whole process off for way too long, we decided, it was time. Potty time.

I think we've known for awhile that Jaxon was ready. He shows a lot of, not all of, but a lot of the signs. He's actually gone potty on his potty chair many times already in fact, so we know he knows what to do. When we visited our doctor for his three year check-up, she essentially told us we were going to need to go cold turkey on the diapers, not even have them in the house as an option, because he was just too smart for us.

So, always the compliant one, I did as she said.

It really started on Thursday night. We made a really special trip to Babies R Us to get a new potty, one that Jaxon could pick out. He picked a race car potty that revs up it's engine when you 'flush' it. Now, why I got the plain one the first time around, I have no idea. This one makes noise!

We also bought some big boy underwear that Jaxon got to pick out. I told him no more diapers starting Friday. He was very excited. We got dressed that morning in his new underwear. Of course, I packed two extras and two extra pairs of pants for daycare, thinking he would get it right away, but that he might have one or two accidents...

As I was saying goodbye to him at daycare, he came to give me a big hug and we noticed he was wet. Good thing I'd brought a change of clothes I thought. I get a call from Nancy at noon-- 'Uh, Brenna. We've been through all his clothes and I know you don't want him in diapers, but I'm not sure what else to do...'. Okay, so Plan B. Diapers just until we get him home.

Saturday, day 2.
Fecal fiasco.

I knew there would be a little bit of clean up involved with the Duece. But seriously. I did not know I'd be scrubbing my fingernails (and Jaxon's) and cleaning toilet seats in the sink. We went through six pairs of pants and underpants in about two hours that morning. Jaxon just kept peeing, but never quite got to the potty.

Then, I noticed his crouching in the corner and hurried him to the potty, thinking, if we can't get the pee at least let's get the poo! And we did. Three times that morning. I was very proud of him.

But, I was also ready to throw in the towel on the pee. We ended the day with pull-ups. Partly because I felt defeated and wanted to give up, and partly because we had no more clean clothes.

Sunday, day 3.
I woke up, renewed and refreshed, ready to try again. I had him hurry to the potty so we could pee before we eat breakfast. And he did! And we did a dance and got so excited and had a treat for making pee. So, we started the day with a Hershey's Kiss and new clean underwear.

And, I am proud to say, that he has gone four times on the potty today and only one accident so far. I think Nancy is going to kill me tomorrow. She uses stickers for rewards and I've been using chocolate. I felt like things were going to slow for me (and really, it is all about me), so I needed to pull out the big guns. Seems to have worked.

For now. Day's not over yet...

1 comment:

  1. This post cracked me up. I love how you broke it up into days. It sounds like he's doing pretty darned well so far! How's the rest of the week gone?

    And about the chocolate — hey, whatever works. Bribery is a mother's best friend.

    ReplyDelete