Monday, January 17, 2011

the potty times

Ah yes. The potty times. Are these the days I'm going to look back on fondly, thinking, I wish those days had lasted longer?

Probably not.

But, for now, I will try to suck it up and enjoy the humor of it all. I will just say, nobody warned us quite enough about potty training. Perhaps I'm just a wus, but I really didn't know I'd be getting more familiar with feces than I already was.

Jaxon has learned to stand there and just spread 'em. At least he doesn't fight it anymore. However the challenge is actually getting him to the potty. Which I'm not sure why- it's so inviting with the books and magazines all over the floor.

I'm pretty good at spotting the telltale signs of legs crossed, dancing around, and squatting with a grimace. I've only raised and nurtured him for three years, I should at least know those things. But, every time I ask- 'Jaxon, you look like you need to go potty' I am met with the same response:

'Nope. I'm good.'.

This weekend I learned what those plastic liners are for. Puddles. They are for puddles. We try to use these more now that we know.

 But, we're getting better. I think we're at laundry every other night now and only was sent home two pairs of wet clothes today, so that is progress. Apparently at daycare today, Jaxon told Nancy he had a poo-poo but he was saving it for mommy. Now, isn't that sweet?? It may have something to do with our treat stash. We've got worms and M&M's (right next to the toothbrush of course), and a whole slew of stickers.

Some say not to bribe. I say it's an incentive.


You'd pee for a worm and poop for two wouldn't you?

2 comments:

  1. You had me laughing so much with the end of this post. I don't envy you in the least. Potty training was the longest three months of my life, by far. SUPER frustrating, ton of laundry (cause we went cold turkey on pull ups and diapers). We used stickers for a while and then we bought one of those tubes of small plastic animals for $5. There were about 20 animals in the tube and O got two if he pooped on the toilet, one if he stayed dry all day.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! Glad Jaxon is doing well with the training. It is nice to get out of the diaper phase, although it introduces a new phase of public restrooms. We didn't mess around with the potty treats either - give em the good stuff right out of the gate.

    ReplyDelete