Sunday, May 20, 2012

mother of the year

Mother of the year award. Again.

As I prepare to watch the Billboard Music awards tonight, I am reminded of my performance yesterday and the awards that my kids would bestow upon me if they could.

Awards such as 'Lunatic mother with a shrill voice.' 'Mom who has no groceries in the house.' and my favorite, 'Mom who didn't let me stay at the party and made me ride all the way home in my swim trunks with no shirt or shoes on.'.

These, my friends, are not the kind of awards I win just everyday. No. They are awards that are only given to this special mama when Scott has begun his 'month of greatness/everyotherweekoffishingandgolf'.

He left me with two tired kids yesterday as he went to Canada for a week to fish and be with nature. Lucky for me, I have some great in-laws who rescued me this morning from my poor discipline hangover by taking the kids for the day, leaving me with the opportunity to restore my balance and get my parenting skills in check.

Yes, I've spent some time reviewing Babycenter.com and Parents Magazine for the latest discipline tricks. We're now trying a reward jar. Let's hope it is rewarding.

We did, however, have a lovely day at Calvin's birthday party before we had the mother of meltdowns as we had to exit (mine and his). I like to think that it is just because Ms. Breyer throws such wonderful parties that Jaxon did not want to leave, and that it has nothing to do with me or my parenting skills (or lack thereof).

Alas, here are some photos of the kids. They clearly had SO much fun at the UP party! Happy Birthday Calvin!! We enjoyed celebrating with you.








1 comment:

  1. We are not lunatics. Our children are lunatics, and we are just trying to communicate with them in a way that makes sense to them. Or something along those lines. Jaxon and Calvin are two peas in a very smart, funny, and frustrating pod.

    I love your kids and that they are a part of my kids' lives. Thanks for celebrating with us! And we definitely need to plan some activities while the guys are gone next month...

    ReplyDelete