Thursday, May 31, 2012

top ten

Memorial Day weekend is usually one of my favorites. We typically rent a cabin for the weekend with my family and even though the weather always stinks, we usually end up having some bright spots. This past weekend was no exception. At the end of the weekend, my mother asked the kids what their favorite parts were and she tried to limit it to just one. I, however, had too many.

Here are my top ten favorite moments.

1. Kiley discovers dip. She's had the usual 'dippy' things like ketchup and ranch. But, I'm not quite sure she's ever enjoyed her dip like she did this weekend. I thought she might just lick the bowl. I think we may have created a monster though. Tonight I caught her sticking her hands into the butter tub and grabbing chunks of butter to lick off her fingers... oh my.

2. Watching the kids get so excited to go fishing. Jaxon had some great 'fish tales' this year, including things like, 'we caught a bluejay. It was the biggest crappie bluejay I've ever seen' (as he holds his hands about 4-5 inches apart.

3. Making fruit loop necklaces. Gotta have something to do when the weather turns crappy. I'm not sure Kiley ever finished hers- she just kept eating the fruit loops. Jaxon made one but it ended up eaten within five minutes.


4. Kayaking with Zoe at sunset. Even though I know I was illegal by not having a life jacket, I still had fun and it was worth the risk. She is growing into such a confident young lady. I remember the days when she was just Jaxon's size and how afraid I was of taking care of her, thinking I'd somehow give her something she was deathly allergic to. Now she's so grown up. She tells me what she can and can't have and reads her own labels, teaches me to kayak, and the girl has more wits and brains than she knows what to do with. It's very fun having her around.

5. Golfing with the boys. It isn't often that I get to do this. My clubs come out once a year, if that. So this was a fun couple of hours, even if it was raining. I even had my own caddy! Can't say that he was that helpful, but he certainly was entertaining.

6. Shopping in Park Rapids. Always a bonus when my mom and I get to spend some time boondoggling as they say.

7. Bubbles, the park, playing baseball, basketball, and the infamous game of headbandz!!


8. The campfire. Who doesn't enjoy a good campfire? I think it may have been Kiley's first. She seemed pretty enthralled with it. Jaxon just loved the idea that he was still up. And that there weren't any ghosts around. Even though Grandpa was a little too candid about those ghosts. I won't forget Jaxon running from the cabin towards the campfire yelling, 'Grandpa's bringing marshmellows and sticks! Marshmellows and Sticks! Marshmellows and Sticks!'.


9. Watching Kiley. I'm not sure if she knows it yet, but this girl has seriously stolen our hearts recently. Scott and I dote on her way too much, but she is seriously like the cutest, funniest, most lovely creature. She has these shy little looks, mischevious grins, and no fear. She loves to play, do anything Jaxon does, and says the funniest things now that we're starting to understand her more (when she takes the paci out!).

Here are the kids getting 'jerseyed'. Something they actually enjoy doing. They get jerseyed and then run and jump on Scott. It's quite hilarious.


10. The hope and promise of a summer of fun. It seems whenever we get together like this, we all share our plans for the next few months and begin to talk about when we'll see each other, the promise of a few more weekends for making memories. With such busy lives, it is something I really cherish, even if we're just sitting around watching Arietty, having some popcorn, and drinking a Honey Jack and Diet (okay, that is my number 11).




All in all, it was a fantastic way to kick off the summer.

And P.S. I fixed the two photos that weren't showing up in my recent post. Check 'em out cuz they are priceless.



No comments:

Post a Comment