Monday, February 14, 2011

baloons and baguettes

Ah, Valentine's Day. We really have no idea why we celebrate it, what it's purpose is, or who St. Valentine really is. And yet, we do it anyway.

I remember my first Valentine's Day dating Scott.

We were juniors in high school.

I was on 'the jury' (the twelve smartest kids in class- apparently all the screw ups called us the jury because we thought we were better than anyone else. so not true!) in AP history/literature. Now, Scott was in the same class mind you, so he must have had some brains.

That or he just bs'd really good back then too (likely).

I remember walking into class in the morning and I was greeted with the biggest heart baloon you could ever imagine- Jaxon would call it 'the biggest one ever' in a really cool growly sort of voice.

Not only was there the biggest heart ballon ever. But there was a french baguette that had been hallowed out and a fresh single red rose placed inside. (baguettes were my signature breakfast- seriously, there is a reason I have a problem losing those last five pounds).

And so, my husband won me over with a bigger than life baloon that I had to leave in the classroom and pick up at the end of the day and a hallow baguette.

This Valentine's Day... we spent Saturday night out with friends and I won our bowling match, winning me the opportunity to sleep in. Sadly, I only slept in until 8:30 as Jaxon woke up vomitting and didn't stop all day. Luckily we had crafted all our Valentines the day before:




Jaxon decorated his bags all by himself and we filled them with goodies for our friends at Nancy's. At one point, he looked at me and said, 'This is fun mommy. I'm having fun.'.

And that's really all a super mom can ask for right? That her kid has fun with the things she thinks are supposed to be fun?

Today, however, not so fun. Not for Jaxon anyway. He spent the day on the couch in front of the TV- second monday in a row. If he had a job, I might start wondering if there was a pattern to his calling in sick... 3 year olds aren't that smart are they??

But, Kiley is healthy so far. She got to go to Nancy's for the Valentine's party today. Here she is in her new pink shirt and heart pants trying to grab the glowworm.
 And falling for the gloworm... while trying to eat him and grab Jaxon's crayons at the same time.


While I love my high school memories of Valentine's Day with the baloons and baguettes, it is certainly fun to create new memories with Kiley and Jaxon and to let them in on the secret of Valentine's Day-- it's really just an excuse to get some candy and flowers. Happy Valentine's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment