Monday, October 31, 2011

A spooktacular day.

Since becoming an adult (a few years ago), I've been a little annoyed by Halloween. It's always so much work to figure out just the right costume... one that nobody has thought of, is clever, and doesn't cost a fortune in time or money to put together. I can't remember the last time I dressed up in costume- clearly I don't get invited out to Halloween parties anymore. And about the only memorable Halloween costume I can remember is when I went as static cling to my aunt's wedding many many years ago...

But. There's always a but.

Having kids changes things.

For better or worse, I am learning to love celebrating silly holidays like Halloween. Who even knows why we celebrate it? I sure don't. Neither do my kids.

But they love it just the same.

When I asked Jaxon what he wanted to be this year, I was silently hoping it wouldn't be something too difficult... something I'd have to piece some fabric together or glue on emblems, find swords or other props to finish it off. Because while I am occasionally crafty, I just didn't have it in me this year.

So I was pleasantly surprised when he said, 'I'm gonna be a cheeseburger.' He doesn't know yet that people don't usually wear the same thing two years in a row. Just like women don't wear the same dress to more than one wedding. And so, I delighted in the fact that he doesn't know these things yet. He's not tainted with the need to have more and more and more.

Well, that was until the Sunday ads started coming wtih 'Toy books' for the holidays... but that's another post.

And so in the spirit of using what we already have, Jaxon was a cheeseburger. And perhaps you'll recognize Kiley's costume... our little kangaroo. She doesn't quite fill it out the way Jaxon did when he first wore it, but she adds a little grace to the outfit. Especially with the pink ribbon in her ear (had to let people know she was a girl somehow!.

And inching myself a little clsoer to a costume, I wore an orange turtleneck and black pants to work today... for whatever it is we celebrate, we sure had a fun night carving our pumpkin, having a pizza party, trick-or treating, and handing out candy.

Hope you had a Spooktacular day too!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment